Saturday, February 13, 2016

How Can You Help Your Students Read Words With Blends?

When children first begin to read, the best thing to use are repetitive books.  These are books that have a predicable structure and, for the most part, have the same words repeated over and over, adding just one new word per page.

Example:
    "I like cats."
    "I like dogs."
    "I like balls."

This gives children the support they need to review and repeat words they have learned and to see only a small amount of new words, in order for them to find the enjoyment in reading a book. Those beginning readers feel such pride and a sense of accomplishment when they have successfully finished reading a book.  This is a key component to future learning... a love of reading!



However, very soon, they will progress, learning the sounds and sight words needed to read lengthier text.  Once a student begins to read at level D (Fountas and Pinnell), blends are introduced.  Students need practice using these blends to become familiar with them.

I just made a set of Blend Puzzles to use in my classroom's literacy centers, so I thought I'd share them with you.  These are the first in a series of blend puzzles I will be creating and posting to TPT, so check back soon to see the next set.

Better yet, follow my blog, subscribe by email or bookmark this in your favorites, and you won't miss the post when I introduce the next set.
   

Simply laminate, cut apart puzzle pieces, and put them altogether in a baggie or file folder.  Then make them available for students to choose.  You may want to introduce them in your reading groups.  That will generate some excitement for sure.  I like to introduce all of my new material either in a small group or whole class, before putting it out.  Not only does it generate interest, it also gives me the opportunity to communicate my expectations for how I want the activity to be used.


I would love to hear from you...  How would you use these blend puzzles?  Just click on the "comment' button below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...